Monday, March 09, 2009

Climate Change Conference

There is a climate change conference happening in New York City. It is not what you would expect. The conference, hosted by The Heartland Institute, is called Global Warming: Was it Ever Really a Crisis?. I don't know much about the group but the conference is about proving that the science behind global warming is not certain and that not everyone agrees with the consensus.

I think this is a great idea and I want the conference to get some mainstream attention. Any issue as important as climate change needs rigorous debate and a presentation of all the facts. Climate change is not a political issue. It is also not an issue that can only have one school of thought. I'm not a scientist so I don't know who is right or wrong scientifically. I do know that pollution and garbage are not good for humans. I also believe that being alarmist about anything can lead to rash decisions. Hysteria for or against this issue will lead to stalemate and a complete lack of progress in improving the quality of life for people and minimizing environmental damage. Good solutions usually come from looking at a problem from all angles with as much information as possible. Environmental issues should not be any different.

No comments: