Friday, June 27, 2008

More Green Confusion

Do We Really Need a Few Billion Locavores? is an interesting article from the Freakonomics blog. In my opinion, it puts the buy local movement into a global economic perspective and discusses the economic concept of specialization.

It is a great point but I find it frustrating. What the hell are we supposed to do to make a difference? Their points make economic sense but I like buying local and doing things for myself. However, I think many people feel they have a responsibility to the world around them. It is getting more difficult to reconcile personal actions with global responsibility. I think this may be the undoing of the "green" movement when people get to confused or frustrated about doing the "right thing". Green fatigue might set in and it will definitely happen if oil drops below $100 a barrel and waste becomes affordable again.

No comments: