Friday, January 12, 2007

Is it worth it?

Lately I have been trying to provide opinions and stories trying to cover both sides of all the environmental issues. An excellent article in the Globe and Mail titled "Is organic food worth the bigger price bite?" examines the pros and cons of buying organic food. I've had trouble linking to them in the past so if the link is dead just type the title into Google News and it should show up.

This article covers my dilemma at the grocery store. I want to minimize my chemical exposure knowing that I can't eliminate it but I don't want to be sucked in to a fear campaign. I also want to support sustainable farming and less packaging as done by some organic producers. At the same time, I have found some organic products that I loved and have never found anything close that was not organic. I think a big problem is how can we be sure it is organic? The public has become skeptical about a lot of things so any product claims have to be legitimately supported for people to buy it.

As always it is an individual choice that should be supported by research. I have a list of Organic Grocery Products available from Amazon.com if you want to check it out.

No comments: