Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What if the Electric Car was not Killed?

Last night I (finally) watched Who Killed the Electric Car? and it did not disappoint. It really made me angry to be honest. The electric car, which will supposedly renew the automobile industry and lead us into a clean green future, was available at least 10 years ago in a viable format. We all know what happened but watching the movie in light of the auto bailouts really got to me.

GM could have been a leader in the electric car segment. Instead they did things the way they still do and ended up bankrupt and needing billions of our dollars. Now, the technological edge that would lead us out of recession and into a more sustainable future has been squandered. If they were left to go bankrupt we may have saved ourselves from future blunders of this sort. I also find it odd that during the auto bankruptcies and bailouts there was never a mention that GM had already developed and destroyed the technology that the governments were demanding they develop as a condition of the loans. The whole thing stinks and it makes me really upset that we are still 10 years away from a breakthrough. I'm afraid that this business as usual approach will keep us 10 years away 10 years from now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog; I've been reading. Thank you for your voice =) Fooollooowed.

Toxic World Blog said...

Thank you for dropping by. I haven't been writing as much as I would like lately. A lot has changed recently and the routine is not what it used to be. I'm hoping to get back on track soon.