Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The "Collapse" of Bees

In Economist magazine last month their was an article about bees and how their is a glut of bee availability this year in the U.S. One paragraph I found particularly interesting was titled "Bee-conomics". It talked about how managed bee hives need to be provided with nutritional supplements and their is a theory that suggests poor bee nutrition may increase the risk of colony collapse disorder (CCD). CCD has been publicized in the last few years and various theories exist about the cause. Basically, nobody is realy sure what causes it and their does not appear to be a pollination crisis.

I don't know what the cause of CCD is nor can I speculate. I find the nutrition theory plausible but then I get worried about the cause of poor bee nutrition. Bees are an integral part of our food production and we can't survive without them.

No comments: