Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Toronto's Green Living Show

Over the weekend I went to the Green Living Show in Toronto, Canada. Loads of exhibitors, lots to buy and a few freebies, too. I was a little disappointed but maybe my expectations were too high. I was hoping for more information, activism and how-tos rather than a seemingly endless supply of cosmetics, hemp/jute handbags, clothes, bedding, cleaners etc...

I realize that "green" is mainstream but I think it is more than buying substitute products and I felt the show should be called the Green Buying Show not Green Living Show. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Clorox and just about all the automakers were there to give the whole event that corporate feel. If you're new to green and have never read or done anything then the show is for you. It will provide a good primer on the alternatives available and how they differ from what you may be using now. If you're looking for more ways to get involved, information and what is going on in the "green movement" you will generally be disappointed. However, amongst all the soaps and sheets I was able to find a few worthwhile exhibitors and I will be writing about them over the course of the week and share some information that I found.

No comments: