Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lights Out

Australia has announced that they will phase out incandescent light bulbs(Wiki) by changing the energy efficiency regulations for lighting. This will save energy and cut GHG emissions. The change is expected to take effect in 2009 or 2010.

This is another example of how government regulation is required, fortunately or unfortunately, to change habits. Will it spawn a black market in old light bulbs? It also demonstrates how small changes can have a big impact once implemented across the population.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know - I realize that compact flourescents save a great deal of energy, but I saw a comment somewhere that said the light they shed is substandard. Can you shed any light on this? (so to speak ;-))

Toxic World Blog said...

I'm not sure about the factual aspect surrounding CFL and the quality of light. I do know from personal experience that some of them are not great. I have found some that give off a white light and others that have a orange hue to them. The orangey bulbs that I bought were shaped like regular light bulbs. If I find anything specific I will be sure to post it.

scorpio82 said...

We have those low energy light bulbs all over our house... I think they work great. They look and work like ordinary light bulbs. I should find out what the brand of them is...